We all know that being a Girl Guide when we were little was lots of fun and the memories will stay with us forever. But being a Guider (those awesome women who inspired us each week) in your 20s and 30s (and beyond) can be even more rewarding. Here are 10 reasons why.
- You get a ‘code name.’
It can get a bit awkward when you bump into a parent on the street and they only know your Guider name: “This is… Sparkles.”
2. Kids say some funny and adorable stuff.
“Does it taste like rainbows? But what if I don’t like the taste of rainbows?”
3. You gain some pretty lit skills and experience for your resume.
Teamwork. Check. Leadership. Check. Responsibility for budgets. Check. Communications skills. Check, check and check.
4. You know some serious life hacks.When the apocalypse hits, you won’t be fazed with all of those life hacks you’ve developed. “Let me just build a shelter in the snow, start a fire and cook a delicious meal from nothing but the contents of my small backpack and the forest.”
5. You’ll always have a reason to pull out your passport.
Whether you’re travelling to an international Girl Guide camp or taking a group of girls on a trip to Europe or South America.
6. And you’ll always have a place to crash, at home and abroad.
Guiding can be found all over the world, and with all that travelling you’re bound to have made a few friends around Canada and the globe.
7. Energy is way more contagious than germs.
Running a unit meeting may sound like exhausting work at the end of a long, hard day, but the girls bring so much joy and enthusiasm it’s often the perfect antidote to a bad day. And when they start laughing, just try not to join in.
8. It’s like a pair of hot, new glasses.
Guiding will have you seeing the world in new ways. From self-esteem and self-acceptance to world hunger, programming stretches your own thinking just as much as the girls’.
9. You’re always in the cookie know.
10. Best of all – ultimate squad goals.
Nothing beats the friendships and support network you build at Guiding. Your fellow Guiders will always have your back and the fun and mischief you get up to together is priceless.
- Are you interested in volunteering with Girl Guides? Get started on our website.