Pokémon GO became available in Canada just as Guiding Mosaic 2016 was ending, and I’ve been playing ever since I got home from camp in Alberta. Here are 10 ways to incorporate Pokémon GO into your unit’s activities:
- Map reading/orienteering. Using the map view on your phone or tablet will give the girls experience in orienting themselves to a map.
- Historical/cultural sites. Many Pokéstops are located at historical or cultural sites. Take your girls on a walk of discovery. In my community of Fredericton, I discovered monuments I didn’t even know were in my neighbourhood.
- While Sparks won’t be creating their own Pokémon GO accounts, Pathfinders or Rangers might. Start a conversation about the kinds of information you share online.
- Environmental concerns. Combine a Pokémon GO walk with a litter chase. Examine how different species of Pokémon are adapted to different environments. Figure out how to look for Pokémon in various environments while being as unobtrusive as possible.
- Plan an enrollment or advancement with a Pokémon theme. Sparks can evolve into Brownies, or Pathfinders can evolve into Rangers.
- Make Pokémon out of modeling clay. Knit or crochet Pokéball hats. Invent your own Pokémon. There are myriad patterns available.
- Give each group a Pokémon name and refer to Guiders as Trainers. Make Pokémon-themed treats or collect stardust for doing challenges.
- Street sense. It’s easy to get so wrapped up in hunting Pokémon that you don’t watch where you’re going. A Pokémon GO walk can teach your girls how to pay attention to their surroundings.
- Public courtesy. Discuss how to play without trespassing, blocking the sidewalk or being unnecessarily noisy.
- Manga and anime. Are you or your girls into manga or anime? Discussing Pokémon can be a gateway to other facets of Japanese culture. For the older girls, it’s a great opportunity to open a discussion on how girls and women are depicted in anime, manga and conventional comics.
Guest post by Faith Cormier, a Spark and Ranger Guider in Fredericton. Faith is also a Trainer and loves to camp.