I realize we’re all busy, and everyone feels they do plenty for Guiding. I hate for you to find out like this, but there is always more work to be done, and you, the responsible, helpful, and giving adult who has time to read blogs, can help! Now, I could brag about everything the small teams of volunteers have accomplished in the past few months at Guiding camps across Canada, but that wouldn’t do a whole lot of good in the long run. Let’s focus on you!
Next time you’re at camp with your girls, look around for some key things. Offer your time to the camp committee, and do as we teach Brownies to do:
Lend a Hand!
- Does painting need to be done? It really makes a building look so much fresher and cleaner!
- Do the cupboards need to be cleaned? The outsides and insides get grimy after years of greasy camp food and no one wiping them down.
- Do trails need to be maintained? Someone needs to go at it with a pair of shears, if you’re tromping through twigs and moving branches on a hike!
- Is the campfire wood box empty? It won’t replenish itself! This is a great project for all branches of Guiding as a camp service project.
- If your camp requires water testing, offer to do the training and be on that team. It’s a thankless job that no one even knows about, but an important one – wouldn’t you agree?
- Does something look broken or worn? Bring it to the committee’s attention with an offer to come out and help work!
Camping is a fundamental aspect of Guiding. There are a ton of jobs that need adult hands, coordination, time spans, safety, and strength to do at our many Girl Guide camp properties. Get involved with your local camp today!
By guest blogger, Bri Arnold. Bri is a Community Guider with the 111th London Brownies, 1st London Trex, 1st Ontario Lone Brownies and Sparks. She is also a college student and summer camp coordinator.
Don’t forget! During the month of May 2012, all GirlGuidesCANblog email subscribers can vote for their favourite posts from our list of the 25 most-read guest blogs! Be part of the GirlGuidesCANblog Big Deal Seal!